Gen Xers were born between 1965-1980. They grew up having to be more independent and self-reliant. They will drive style with a focus on individuality; yet want to be current in color and trends. They are technologically savvy and are accustomed to be leading edge. They like informality, and strive to have work and life balance in their fast paced lives. Though they like “do-it-yourself,” they would rather hire a professional to better increase the value of their home and not lose time to socialize and travel.
These elements are important for Kitchen Design for Generation X:
• Easy computer access so while they are cooking dinner they can look up recipes, do online shopping, check social media accounts, research homework questions
• Open layout, peninsula or galley configurations
• Taller, bar height island for a friend to sit and chat, or a child to do homework
• Island sink for a second sink
• They want cutting edge smart appliances
• Prefer creative storage to hide small appliances for an uncluttered look
• Flexible pantry storage
Happy Kitchen Design for Generation X!