Pros and Cons of Artificial Turf
Synthetic grass looks very realistic, although it can look more perfect than a typical lawn. People tend to think since there is no watering, weeding, mowing, reseeding or fertilizing, it will be simpler, but there are some downsides to think about. In some ways it is. It is densely made so one can use a blower to get rid of leaves. It in impervious to the seasons and the weather so it always is green. It can be ideal for highly shaded areas where grass struggles to grow. But there are drawbacks to be considered:
- If you enjoy large trees growing next to your lawn area, they have established a root system under your lawn where it has been getting the water it needs. By replacing your lawn with artificial turf and stopping the former lawn’s watering system, a mature tree may not survive because those roots lose their water source. Even with added deep watering it may be too much for a large tree to adapt to.
- Artificial turf heats up quickly and puts off radiant heat, and off gasses chemicals. It does not feel cool nor will it provide oxygen like grass does.
- If you have a pet, you will need to make sure it isn’t relieving itself on the turf. It may be used to going in that area. While it may be easy to visually see poop that needs to be cleaned up, you may miss it taking a leak and urine will leave an odor if the area is not thoroughly rinsed. If you put turf in the front that animals can have access to, you will need to check for urine.
- During the season when trees are shedding, it can look more messy and seem like one can’t keep it looking nice.
- There is a high installation cost, so unless you plan on staying at your house for years, you will not realize a savings.
An alternative can be hiring a Landscape Architect or educating yourself on local xeriscape design to help plan a low water use, lower maintenance yard. There are many plants best suited for your area, and plants uptake carbon dioxide and provide oxygen. You may want to designate a smaller space for artificial grass.
Suddenly a great company of the heavenly host appeared with the angel, praising God and saying,
“Glory to God in the highest heaven,
and on earth peace to those on whom His favor rests.” Luke 2: 13-14
Have A Healthy Happy Home
‘Tis the Season of Giving
Crispy Roasted Acorn Squash