What Moms Want for their Kitchen Remodel
May is a time to show Moms that they are loved, and if it is time for a kitchen remodel, here are some of the most popular trends in kitchen remodeling projects according to a Houzz survey of homeowners planning, doing, or had recently done a kitchen remodel. They found there were five strong trends in current kitchen remodeling projects, and the first one is very surprising!
- Staying put Two out of three homeowners opt to stay living in their homes during kitchen remodeling project. You would think more of them would report having extreme stress with the noise, temporary loss of kitchen, but no. Of those who moved out during part of the remodel (26%) and the 8% that moved out for the entire project duration (2/3’s stayed with family or friends and the rest took a trip), surprisingly more of them reported being extremely stressed during the renovation (8-10%).
- Upgraded features These are the top five features than the majority included in their remodel: countertops (in quartz or stone)/tile backsplash, sink(s) with high tech faucet, light fixtures, cabinets (including pull out waste/recycling and cookie sheet/tray organizing), flooring.
- Upgraded design Over half wanted to make their kitchen more open to adjoining rooms. Forty percent included a pantry, including cabinets being their pantry, and 48% wanted to add an island and half of them wanted a breakfast bar.
- Most popular styles and finishes Twenty one percent wanted a transitional design style (between traditional and contemporary) for their kitchen, 15% contemporary (cutting edge), and growing in popularity is a farmhouse style. Top metal finish is a matte brushed or satin nickel. Cabinetry choices are mostly custom or semi-custom in a shaker style with 43% choosing white, 25% wood, and 11% gray.
- Aging in Place The majority of those doing a kitchen remodel were Baby Boomers planning for long term needs. They are making the kitchen larger and more open, with better lighting, including a wall oven and raised dishwasher, having a touch free faucet, roll out shelves and deep dish drawers (to eliminate storing dishes in upper cabinets) and luxury vinyl flooring.
The kitchen is the hub of the home. There is joy when it is customized to what Mom wants!
Happy kitchen remodeling!
An excellent wife, who can find? For her worth is far above jewels. The heart of her husband trusts in her, and he will have no lack of gain. Proverbs 31: 10-11
Pandemics and Architectural Design Trends
Keep your Electronics clean
Cream of Broccoli Soup